Wednesday 17 June 2009

KATY PERRY SUES NAMESAKE OVER NAME

I'd love to know the background to this case. Whose idea was it? Does this come from Katy Perry herself, or some idiot lawyer pushing his luck?

Australian fashion designer Katie Perry says she has received a legal letter from lawyers representing her American pop singing differently-spelled namesake ordering her to stop putting her name - her own name - on the clothes she designs. Even though she spells it differently than the pop star, has been using her name on her loungewear line for two years, ie since before Katy Perry's career-launching pop album debut last summer, and Katy Perry isn't even Katy Perry's birth name.

Commenting on the legal letter, the Aussie Perry told reporters: "I got such a huge shock. It really felt like I was being intimidated and bullied into signing everything away. [The letter] asked me to give up the trademark, withdraw sale of my clothes, withdraw any advertising and any websites, and sign that I will not in the future use a similar trademark to Katy Perry. I pretty much burst into tears. I love my business. I'm not going to give it away without a fight either. I'm not trying to become a singer. I'm not pretending to be her. This is my income. And it's the livelihood of my contractors as well".

Assuming there isn't some sort of confusion going on here, and Katy's lawyers are really making these demands, I really hope it goes to court and the judge tells popstar Perry's attorneys to fuck off and die. And in the meantime we should all boycott Katy Perry's records and buy a nice Katie Perrie jumper instead.

Source: Unlimited Media www.unlimitedmedia.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.